Sunday, September 7, 2008

Melancholy………………………………..

Image Source
Nostalgia can sometimes make you remember some of the most awesome memories of childhood, which I had lost after I entered the rat race of the corporate world.

Just the other day, my brother and I were discussing the major impact Doordarshan had on our childhood. I can still remember the tunes of a couple of serials and hum them once in a while.

Of late, children seem to be caught up with all the absorbing gadgets and miss the most fascinating and important part of their life – Childhood.


I remember eagerly waiting all through the week for Sunday to come so that I can watch
Ramayan. As a kid, the costumes, the dialogues, the “effects”, and the “oh so dramatic” situations filled me with wonder! Mystical stories of demons and beautiful princesses left me craving for another Sunday.

When Mahabharath (1), (2) came along, the costumes, the effects and the situations just got better. Who can forget the soft yet unyielding voice at the beginning of almost every episode that said “Main samay hoon……”


Just when the audience were getting used to all the effects on TV, Sanjay Khan bought Tipu Sultan and The Great Marata with its gigantic settings, beautiful and gripping story, making all the young audience to become great fans of historical stories!


And then my thoughts run faster to dig in the distant past to recollect all my favourite serials, for which I used to wait all day long.


Vikram & Beetal, Chanakya, The lost world of Mungeri Laal ke haseen sapneNukkad, Yeh Jo Zindagi HaiMalgudi days, Mr Yogi, Surabhi, Bharath ek khoj (How much I used to hate this serial – found it very boooooooooooring!)

Weekly doses of bollywood through Chitrahaar, Rangoli, Superhit muquabala; Detective serials like Karamchand, Tehekikaat, Reporter and Byomkesh BakshiAnd how can I forget the ever-inspiring serials like Udaan (I dreamt of being a pilot after seeing this serial), SamandarFauji, and Circus (Shah Rukh Khan looked sooooooooo cute in both of them!).

TV series capturing the minds of children like Ek Do Teen CharShaktimaanThe man, the machine – Street Hawk, Knight Rider. (Gosh! I miss these serials)


The birth of soaps on DD through BuniyaadHumLog, Ajnabhi, Phir wohi Talaash and Junoon ( Aired on DD Metro)

British comedies like Yes Minister and Mind your Language, Japanese Serial Oshin

Hinglish serials like Zabhan Sambhalke and Tandoori Nights

Slapstick comedies like Flop Show, Dhek Bahi Dhek, Kabhi Yeh, Kabhi Woh and Ulta Pulta

Daily/Weekly dose of cartoons
: Duck Tales, Tailspin, Alice in wonderland, Pingu, AladdinJungle book…………..“jungle jungle baat chali hai pata chala hai…….”He – man – I am the powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And how can I forget the advertisements???

The intelligent
Lalithaji of Rin safedi, Washing powder NirmaLijjat Pappad – The bunny giggliging He he he, Vicco Turmeric…nahin cosmeticHumara Bajaj, Shammi Kapoor in Pan Parag,  Aamir Khan & Aishwarya Rai in Yeh hi hai right choice baby aha! Shah Rukh & the then cricket team in Pepsi, Salman Khan in Limca, Seven up  Amul - The Taste of India, Sundrop OilBakeman's biscuitsLiril, Onida, Cadbury’s ad with the girl running in the middle of the cricket field and who can forget the cute kid loving jalebeee in Dhara ad, and my most favorite ………… “Gold spot- the Zing thing!”

The songs aired on DD about education and general awareness  
Ek chidiya anek chidiya, Education Documentary, School Chale Hum,  Saur Mandal Mein Tim Tim, Do not spread rumours, and about
 patriotism Baje SargamMile Sur mere TumharaVijayai Visw Tiranga Pyara, Spread the Light Of Freedom, and Vande Mataram

And who can forget the
Doordarshan Signature Montage.

Man! I really miss those days

(For you guys, who want to take a trip down the memory lane, some of them have videos hyperlinked. Click on the names and enjoy!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...