Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mother nature's blessings

Image Source

The smell of mud as the first drop of rain touches the earth has always enthralled me. It has this distinct aroma which is hard to describe but it makes u feel like throwing up all your work and dancing with joy.


I can spend hours together watching out of the window as it rains. The pitter- patter of rain drops, the lashing of it against the window, the fluttering of leaves as every rain drop hits it, the ripples that are formed in puddles of water, the breeze within the power of rain, it starts as a passing shower, and then becomes a steady cadence. Heavy drops thud the skylight. Like a child's play xylophone, it gently chimes the metal vents on the roof. The music almost lulls me to sleep. It’s an amazing sight that one must see and experience. Words fail when you try to explain such mesmerizing acts of nature.

I have always envisaged of getting wet in the rain, but the vociferous reproach of my mother’s aftermath has stopped me from doing so. But till date, that hasn’t stopped me in rummaging for excuses to indulge in the blissful act of conceding myself to nature’s splendor. Getting wet in the rain is like surrendering to beauty in the purest form. There is no other joy than one can experience that’s so tantalizing and breathtaking. As the raindrops caress you, soaking you in its lovely cascade, one can experience the feel of getting cleansed and a sense of peace with the love of rain engraining your soul. It feels so spiritual.

When I was a child growing up, my most memorable walks were those taken back home from school, on rainy days with my best friend by my side. There was something joyful and frolicsome about jumping in the puddles. We would trudge back home weighted down by the load of our school bags, wearing rain-coats and happily munching on the boiled corn that was bought from the road-side vendor. We would lift our heads to the sky and let the rain fall on our faces with our mouths open wide, as if to tell the heavens to pour out its sweetest drink it had to offer. I loved watching the bubbles rise in the puddles as each droplet made its own statement. I loved seeing the leaves wet and rich in color, as the rain rolled off, only to await its next drop.

Rain is meaningful to me to this day. It seems to bring out a sense of melancholy, a time of reflection, something that I find to be very relaxing and at the same time, stimulating. It is mysterious and just dark enough to evoke and mirror interesting feelings, thoughts, memories and even hopes. I have always loved the rain and felt a certain affinity with it. I suppose I'm always more inspired to think, reflect and introspect on rainy days. Perhaps it's the innate sense of solitude that seems to accompany the gray days.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With rain drops falling on you, walking on a deserted road in the night, hearing your favorite music director's in the head phones and humming the same song...Thinking about your love - I think thats heaven...

"Getting wet in the rain is like surrendering to beauty in the purest form." - Wonderful Words..

Anonymous said...

Awesome writing! I've never heard something like rain to be described in such wonderful words. While I was reading through I actually felt the sensation of getting wet in the rain. Only somebody's who is very romantic at heart can come up with such wonderful description of rain. Looking forward to more reading og yours

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...